Georgia"s Recipe of the week – Georgia"s Bar-b-Q spareribs

http://reachmorenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/bbq-358697_640.jpg

bbq-358697_640


GEORGIA’S BAR-B-Q SPARERIBS


Ray was after me for another recipe so I scoured my long double wide recipe box my son made for me many years ago.  My mouth started to water when I saw this recipe.  I have no clue where I got it, but it dates back about 50 years, long before people worried about the amount of sugar in ketchup. The recipe card which is in my handwriting is yellow with age, grease spots and has question marks regarding amounts of ingredients.  No matter, the spareribs always seem to turn out “finger lickin’ good.” I love to serve them with corn on the cob since I’m a hands-on diner at heart.


Warning: It’s wise to provide your family or friends with lots of napkins or perhaps have a roll of paper towels on hand. That will let them enjoy diggin’ in.


 INGREDIENTS:


Pork spareribs:  I like the long bony ones because I love to gnaw away and slurp up the sauce. Meaty ones fill me up too soon. How many?  I buy enough to fill my largest roasting pan.


3 or 4 lemons?                                1 large Onion?


 Ketchup:  Amount depends on how much meat you are cooking. I use about 28 to 32 ounces?


Water?  I use about ½ cup or more to get all the ketchup out of the bottle


1/3 cup to ½ cup Brown Sugar        1 teaspoon Chili Powder


3 Tablespoons Vinegar                    4 tablespoons Celery Seeds


4 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce


 DIRECTIONS


 Preheat oven to 425˚


Slice your spareribs into single portions and place in your roasting pan. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.


 Thinly slice your onion and your lemons and spread over the spareribs.  Use however many it takes to cover the meat.


Bake for ½ hour at 425˚.


 While spareribs are baking, combine Ketchup, Water, Brown Sugar, Chili Powder, Vinegar, Celery Seeds and Worcestershire Sauce in a pan. Stir everything together and bring to a boil and then simmer ten minutes.


 After the meat has roasted the first half hour, take your roasting pan from the oven and remove as much of the melted fat as you can.  Turn ribs over and pour sauce over them. Make sure every one of them is coated. I use tongs to twirl them around.


 Turn the temperature down to 350˚ and then return the ribs to the oven. You will be baking them for another 30 to 50 minutes and turning them several times to keep them coated with the sauce which gets thicker with time.  I usually turn them over about 3 times or every 15 minutes.


 I like to cook rice to sop up any sauce that escapes the ribs but potatoes would work just as well.  I’m going shopping tomorrow so we’ll be havin’ spareribs, rice, and a spinach salad for dinner.  Yum!


 Watch for a new recipe from Georgia every Friday. She’ll be experimenting on me with new taste delights all through each week. Yum! Yum! Ray



Georgia"s Recipe of the week – Georgia"s Bar-b-Q spareribs