Georgia"s Cheesy Brown Rice Recipe from 50 Years Ago

http://reachmorenow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/rice-casserole.jpg

My Cheesy Brown Rice from 50 Years Ago – Georgia Mossholder


I invited some new friends over for dinner about 50 years ago then was dismayed to learn that they were vegetarians.  Oh my! That was way out of my expertise!  I dashed to the library, found a vegetarian cookbook, and copied down a casserole recipe.  I chose it because  I figured it had to be good since it had lots of cheese which I thought at the time would satisfy any protein requirements.   I never get tired of this dish and personally could eat it every day of the week.  Nowadays I usually tweak the recipe to suit my own taste.  It often depends on how much cooked rice I have on hand and what’s in my cupboard at the time. I like the flavor best with black eyed peas and sometimes make do with the smaller can of chilies but I prefer the 7 oz. size.  Left overs?  I heat them up in a skillet with some melted butter. Yum!


CHEESY BROWN RICE


 INGREDIENTS:


3 or 4 Cups cooked brown rice                          1 large onion chopped


15 – ½ oz. can black eyed peas, or black beans or kidney beans, rinsed


One 7 oz. or smaller can green chilies, chopped (your choice)


3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced (your choice as to how many)


Black olives- about a third of a 303 size can, sliced into crescents


8 oz. ricotta cheese thinned with yogurt or milk so it’s spreadable


¾ pound shredded Monterey  Jack cheese


½ cup to 3/4 cup or more of shredded sharp cheddar.


Garnish (optional) 1 or 2 Green onions, chopped


 


Preheat oven to 350˚


Mix together the rice, beans, garlic, onion and chilies in a bowl.


Grease or butter a 9 x 13” casserole dish and prepare the four  layers:


  1. rice/bean/chili/garlic mix

  2. ricotta cheese

  3. the sliced black olives followed by the jack cheese

  4. Final layer of rice/beans mix.

Bake 20 minutes, sprinkle cheddar cheese on top, then bake 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted and a bit browned.


Add garnish if desired.



Georgia"s Cheesy Brown Rice Recipe from 50 Years Ago